Sunday, March 01, 2009

What will you stand-up for ?

Here's a challenge that we noticed this week:

This summer, sculptor Antony Gormley invites you to help create an astonishing living monument. He is asking the people of the UK to occupy the empty Fourth Plinth in Trafalgar Square in London, a space normally reserved for statues of Kings and Generals, in an image of themselves, and a representation of the whole of humanity.

Every hour, 24 hours a day, for 100 days without a break, different people will make the Plinth their own. If you're selected, you can use your time on the plinth as you like – to demonstrate, to perform, or simply to reflect. One & Other is open to anyone and everyone from any corner of the UK. As long as you're 16 or over and are living, or staying, in the UK, you can apply to be part of this unforgettable artistic experiment. Participants will be picked at random, chosen from the thousands who will enter, to represent the entire population of the UK. The rules are simple: you must stand on the plinth alone, for the whole hour; you can do whatever you want, provided it's legal; and you can take anything with you that you can carry.

So what would you stand-up for? Would you stand-up and criticise the government as Ezra Pound did in 1942 and subsequently get arrested and put in a mental hospital for 13 years, or are things not like that any more?

An item on this week's BBC Radio Four talked about: 'Are Asian women in theatre today the "Angry Young Men" of the 1960s'. From listening to the program they have every right to be angry; so will they stand-up?

Or will bankers take to the plinth and justify their pensions?

What would you do?

I've put my name forward, so I'll let you know if I get selected; but if I do I'm not sure what I shall do. It might be a slot at 3am in the morning when only the waifs and strays will look and listen; or perhaps it will be at 3pm when the tourists of the world will see this country do what its always been good at: a little bit of eccentricity? Better still, Gilbert & George may repeat their legendary singing in the rain living sculpture; that would be fantastic. I could do go on, so any ideas would be welcome, just in case.

Talking of going on, I had an interesting conversation with someone this week about getting noticed, particularly on the web. It seems that good content alone, is not good enough. Instead, you need lots, lots more. Bells & whistles as we used to say. Links and streams; let alone a Twitter or two! So I do apologise if this blog is pretty damn dull, but it is My Life and ... no I wont go down that road. Perhaps I should talk about when I was a communion wafer baker, that would spice things up, or when my son and I spent a day with Vincent Price. Has that got your attention; if so pass this blog on so we may reach a meaningful number of readers, beyond the handful that dedicatedly click-on each week. To which I doff my cap in thanks.

No comments: