Sunday, March 15, 2009

Spring is Sprung!

Spring has been expressed in many ways. Eliot thought it was the cruelest time of the year, as its birth was no more than a prelude to death. In one of my first published poems I alluded to that when I wrote: Father come to me, watch the black stare of green eyes: falling winter lays dread upon thought of spring.
 
That aside, it really is a time of enormous regeneration, rebirth, renewal; however you like to express it. As I sit here and look at the garden in the early morning sun, there are buds galore; heads rising above the parapet and I know, to my recent discovery, snails ready to emerge for their winter sleepover and eat-up all those new shoots!
 
So what will come this year? I'm sure there will be more of the self-grown variety of flowers and vegetables; a treat to the health and wealth of the nation. But what else? Maybe a sift away from the single souls society; where we are all doing what I'm doing right now: praying to cyberspace!
 
Perhaps we will inject a little 'us' into this, so instead of all being viewers a number of us will become involvers. Faint chance eh? Let me know what you think. Right now I can't resist the urge to get out there and start digging, planting and, later, sharing. It's one of the great cycles of the year. Enjoy! 

No comments: