Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Man Who Went Away

I am looking for a book published in 1952 (in the States, I believe) by George Paul Solomos called The Man Who Went Away. I've tried AbeBooks again and again, but no luck. Pass the word around please; I really would like to find this book that I read many years ago and the author who was a friend and mentor in my early writing life.

Talking of publishing I met a very interesting small publishing company this week called: the Gatehouse Press, see: www.gatehousepress.com. They publish some fine authors (like George Szirtes and Jo Kjaer) and are run by an author and charming man: Tom Corbett. For those who live in my neck of the woods, or who hanker after our corner of the word go buy Shuck, Hick, Tiffey! written by George Szirtes. It's three Norfolk libretti which evoke a life as interesting as the environment it celebrates. If you do nothing this week go to Gatehouse, its website is a bit rusty but its output is well worth collecting.

Talking of nothing in particular I came across a lovely poem by Hilaire Belloc called The Garden Party, in a beautiful book called England from Eland Publishing. The first verse is:

The Rich arrive in pairs
And also in Rolls Royces;
They talked of their affairs
In loud and strident voices.

I thought that today, the equivalent might be:

The Celebs arrived alone
And also in Lamborghinis
They talked of Sylvester Stallone
In between drinking bellinis.

Back to basics of an amazing kind; another encounter on my travels was with a company that is surviving in these difficult times, and long may it do so. Based here in North Norfolk it is the epitome of a cottage industry. Everything is made by hand, by local people, in sheds and bolt holes, using strong and lasting materials. Whilst I was with these wonderful people (you'll see the extended 'family' on the website) one of the cats (named fidget for obvious reasons) would not leave me alone, chickens ran everywhere (would you like some they said, just help yourself) and the place exuded old world charm and individuality. May it never go the way of China, or much worse. Enjoy: www.carriercompany.co.uk.

This ragbag this week, is brought about by the desire to reach out, to connect. I know I have a small following, but I would like to think it could be more. So pass on my blog address to all that you think might benefit from literary ramblings and other bits & bobs that come out of my head from time to time. Clearly, me in my small corner, and you in yours, is not reaching out to a wider world out there. Or perhaps they have opened the door, looked inside, realised it's an old and musty gut bucket and moved on. Don't blame them, I only keep one essential site that I look at every day: www.katson.blogspot.com. But it would be good to know that these ramblings are of some interest, or should I just turn the light out and pull the duvet over my head?











No comments: