Sunday, February 22, 2009

A bucket load of Beckett

Good news this week; the first volume of The Letters of Samuel Beckett was published. I've always liked Beckett for his ability to turn the absurd into pure poetry. Beckett was also on the fringes of the genre that I have liked (or been obsessed with) all my life i.e. Pound and his cronies. Beckett only popped-up in that group as James Joyce's secretary amongst other things. But he made an impression with Pound.

Here's an amusing story in James Laughlin's book: Pound as Wuz. The time was 1967 and Pound had retreated into his silent period. He was taken to Paris by Olga Rudge for the publication of French translations of some of his books. During the trip he was driven to the chateau of Vaux-le-Vicomte. 'Swinging his cane, Ezra walked briskly through the house and the gardens. No comment whatever. But that evening he uttered. He had been seeing his old friend Sam Beckett, who had taken him to a performance of Fin de Partie (Endgame), the play in which two characters are in garbage cans. Out of the blue he said, "C'etait moi dans la poubelle." (I was the one in the garbage can.)

Evidently Samuel Beckett and James Joyce were also 'addicted to silences' they 'engaged in conversations which consisted often of silences directed toward each other, both suffused with sadness.'

But as for joy, there is a new production of Waiting for Godot in London and the provinces opening soon, starring Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart. I predict that it will be one of the highlights of the year. Particularly if Pozzo and Lucky are played well. Those two characters, in my opinion, characterise the play. They bring in the absurd; they offer a wider canvas (Pozzo could have been threatened with crucifixion, Lucky could be the mess that the world has got into). Go see this production, it could change your life.

For those that were concerned at the last sentiments in my last blog, fear not. The silence was deafening, but I'm not finished yet. I have much to say and much to do; but it would still be nice to hear from you (someone did say that my 'Time' poem was nice - never a very stirring word that, but I'll take it for what it's worth). To end, let me just say in passing, The Pet Shop Boys were so good at The Brits Awards (my son has just fallen off his chair, because he didn't even know I knew the PSB...but don't worry son it was only a one-off, back to Brahms German Requiem for me).

No comments: