Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hilary Mantel - I remember you well

Congratulations to Hilary for winning the Man Booker Prize with her book: Wolf Hall.
 
When we had our bookshop (The Old Butchers Bookshop & Gallery) in Cley, Norfolk, Hilary regularly came in when she was visiting our part of the country. We used to chat and I never felt then that I was in the company of someone with such imagination and writing ability. Her looks and demeanor beguile her enormous talent.
 
I have enjoyed many of her books and Wolf Hall is one of them, although being such a might tome I am only part way through it. One of her books I can heartily recommend, and is not very often mentioned, is The Giant, O'Brien. A ripping good yarn.
 
  

2 comments:

Kathy said...

She obviously had good taste in bookstores ;-)

HD55 said...

Well, it was only on Saturday that mum commented on your eye for a good painting, then seperately Chris happened to wonder how Dominic was, then I ended up here reading about Todd. The wonders of the internet will never cease to amaze me. I do hope that you are all well. We often think of you and you come up in conversation regularly. With Love Howard