Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Who's that with my wife? Why it's Gilbert & George!

It all happened one sultry summer morning...there was I walking my dog along the seabank at Cley, when, there before me, was the totally unmistakable image of Gilbert & George walking towards me. If you know anything about Gilbert & George, you will know that they are 'living sculptures'. Always immaculate, always in suits/shirt/tie - even on a sweltering day in August. So they did kind of stand out.
 
I was thrilled to see them and rushed back to my bookshop/gallery to put some G & G books in the window (what a tart, I am). It worked. The door bell tinged and in they came. Perfect gentlemen they were. We chatted away. They signed the books I had about them. And, better still, they shared their 'Wants List' with me and I was running around like a man possessed to get them their books.
 
What a day; and it got better. We exchanged addresses and in a few weeks we received an invitation to the private view of a show they were having at a new gallery in Milton Keynes, here in the UK. Hence this picture. I'm hoping we may get another invite to their major retrospective this year at the Tate Modern. It promises to be a mega show. So, as I look at the Rubik's Cube I have of G & G and the mobile of their multi images, I remember that day in the back of beyond in Norfolk. I guess you could say that where ever you are, you should always be ready to expect the unexpected!
 
This is a poetry-free entry on the blog, because I want you to get ready for my major work next time. This is what Sebastian Barker, editor of The London Magazine, said about it:
 
"You have steeped yourself so deeply in Pound, you have written something out of his school but very definitely your own. For me, the poem ends on what I repeat is a remarkable note  ... You are saying something which has not been said before and you are saying it about Ezra Pound. This is done by the use of several metaphors which give to airy mysteries a local habitation."
 
Intrigued? I hope so. I will reveal all, next time, for the first time.
 
 

No comments: