Sunday, October 22, 2006

Things ain't what they used to be!

Before I reached the stage of marriage and a more settled life I had been through a few years of difficulty. Suffice to say there appeared to be no way out of this abyss, so a solution was suggested that was 'prescribed' in those days. It sort of worked out although it was hell getting through it. Coincidentally, I was working at the time at an ad agency that had, as its client, the pharmaceutical company that brought this about, so I was able to check out the efficacy of the treatment being prescribed.
 
I am being cagey about this, you 'll understand why in a minute. What took place was a one-off, I never had the need again. Naturally I wrote a poem about it, which I share with you:
 
 
God my head collapsed to bones
with LSD
Life was more terrible
with LSD
Mother and Father screamed at me
with LSD
Tears and wet bed
with LSD
Hundreds of dragons devouring each other
with LSD
My mind expanding to the heavens
with LSD
People after me to eat my carcass
with LSD
I wanted to leave humanity and be alone
with LSD
All crushed and powdered me
with LSD
The world seemed more restless
without LSD
My mind more muddled and tortured
without LSD
I could see the world more clearly
and horribly in my perspective when
I asked for more LSD.
 
But now, with that behind me, life was taking a different turn. More prolific in terms of the writing I was producing, but as an outpouring rather than fully crafted work (that came later). Work got more serious too (and more lucrative). I was at a cross roads and everything was coming at me pretty fast. In the next few entries on this blog I will play catch-as-catch-can with a whole host of influences over a 20 year period.
 
 

No comments: